2 Bean Turkey Chili
(adapted from Shrinking Kitchen)
Serves 6 generously
Gather: 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 bell pepper (your choice of color)
1 medium yellow onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15.5 ounce can low sodium diced tomatoes, with juice
1 15.5 ounce can low sodium black beans, drained
1 15.5 ounce can low sodium pinto beans, drained
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 tablespoon epicure taco seasoning
3 teaspoon salt
Step by Step:
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or large, heavy pot.
- Add onion, bell pepper , cook until softened.
- Add garlic, cook for another minute.
- Throw the ground turkey into the pot, break up and work into the vegetables.
- Brown the turkey.
- Add the cumin, chili powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the tomatoes and beans.
- Bring to a low boil then reduce to a simmer for at least 20 minutes. You can simmer on the stove for a few hours if you’re so inclined.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with toppings eg. low fat shredded cheddar and light sour cream. Cilantro, baked tortilla chips and avocado are also wonderful.
Leftovers are great made into a taco salad- pour chili over salad greens and some tortilla chips.